For as long as I have lived with J, I have fussed at him about leaving food cooking unattended. He always insisted that my worries were completely unfounded
Last night, J and I took Stella on a nice long walk around the neighborhood. Before leaving, he put a potato in the microwave to cook while we were out. Aside from the fact that I tripped on the sidewalk and hurt my foot, it was an enjoyable adventure. All was well until we returned to the house...and were greeted at the door with an unappetizing smell.
Smoke.
J ran into the kitchen and opened the microwave, releasing an amount of smoke that probably would have intimidated the monster on Lost. He promptly closed it, unplugged it, and carried the microwave out to the back porch for further inspection.
Obviously, his potato was a bit overcooked. Part of me was a little disappointed that we WEREN'T home as I've never seen anything catch fire in the microwave.
He didn't use foil or anything unusual so we're not entirely sure how it happened. When he pulled the potato out, we realized that it was actually still smoldering.
So, I got to have a big "I told you so!" moment and J finally learned his lesson.
At the cost of a new microwave.
And trying to find something else to have for dinner.
And 3 hours of desmokifying the house.





oh my gosh!! how terrifying! i cook potatoes in the microwave all the time, how scary!
ReplyDeleteIt was pretty scary when we came home to all the smoke, but now - well after the fact - we've decided it falls into the "Well, that's an interesting story we can tell..." category.
Delete